Baptismal Preparation Class
Clase de Preparación Para El Bautismo
If you are planning to have a child baptized at St. Mary’s Catholic Parish it is a requirement that both parents and godparents attend a Baptism Preparation Class. You must pre-register for the class. Class is limited to 20 people.
Si planea bautizar a un niño en la Parroquia Católica de Santa María, es requisito que tanto los padres como los padrinos asistan a una clase de preparación para el bautismo. Tienes que preinscribirte para la clase. La clase está limitada a 20 personas.
If you are planning to have your baby baptized in the Catholic faith, please follow these instructions:
- To request Baptism at St. Mary’s the family should ordinarily be members of the parish.
- Infant Baptism is for children from infancy age to six years of age.
- Complete the Sacristy Record of Baptism Form.
- Attach a copy of the child’s original Birth Certificate to the form.
- Attend a Baptism Preparation Class. You must pre-register for the class. Class is limited to 20 people.
- Both parents and godparents are asked to take a Baptism Preparation Class. These classes are offered through St. Mary’s once a month. Registration forms are available online and through the Parish Office. You may be considered exempt from taking the class if you have taken a Baptism Preparation class within the last year.
- Forms for registering for the Baptism Preparation Class are available in the links below and must be received with payment prior to the scheduled class. Each class is limited in size, so please register early. Spanish Baptismal Preparation classes are offered on the 3rd Wednesday of most months from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm in the Parish Center. There is a $25 per child class fee which will cover materials for parents and godparents. Adults only, please. Childcare is not available.
- Choose a Godparent or Godparents according to the Guidelines for Godparents.
The Canon Law of the Catholic Church requires a male Godparent, or a female Godparent, or one of each. Before selecting Godparents, please carefully review the Guidelines for Godparents. If you only have one Godparent, then a second person can be named as a “Christian Witness’ provided they practice another Christian faith. The “Christian Witness” cannot be a baptized Catholic no longer practicing Catholicism.
All required letters and outstanding forms must be in the church office two weeks prior to scheduling a date for baptism. For more information, contact Shannon Henson email@example.com or you may call 903-893-5148.
Children who have reached the “age of discretion” (7-years-old) must be initiated using the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, adapted for children (RCIC).
If you wish to have your child (over the age of seven) baptized, please contact our Faith Formation Coordinator, Dawn Purcell firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Adults seeking baptism need to proceed through the Rite of Initiation of Adults (RCIA) program with the assumption that their baptism in the Catholic Church signifies their desire to become Catholic as well. RCIA will prepare the adults for the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist, and Reconciliation. Please contact Joan Smith and Pam Deffibaugh email@example.com if you are interested in this program.
The Spanish Baptismal Preparation Class is offered through St. Mary’s on the 3rd Wednesday of most months from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm in the Parish Center, and by appointment in English. Registration forms are available online and through the Parish Office and must be received with payment prior to the scheduled class. You may be considered exempt from taking the class if you have taken a Baptism Preparation class within the last year.
Each class is limited in size, so please register early. There is a $25 per child class fee which will cover materials for parents and godparents. Adults only, please. Childcare is not available.